Saturday, 22 April 2017

Week 2 Post 1

In the office, we use a lot of similar software we have used in our classes. We use Conveyancer, Teraview, Estate-a-Base and Will Builder. We also use Outlook for a more convenient way to communicate with others in the office or even leaving an email with a detailed messaged from clients when one of the lawyers or assistants are not in the office. Microsoft Word is also very useful in the office and i'm glad to know all the shortcuts and tools we learned in class. The equipment that is used everyday is of course, the printer, fax machine, scanner, photocopier, stapler and hole punch.

I am currently using Teraview and Conveyancer up-to-date from my placement, which is great as we are familiar with the software from class. I will be using Estate-a-Base during the third week of my placement and am glad to know my way around the software program as we gained experience from our Wills and Estates class. I have briefly been shown two new software's that I am not familiar with, which are, Oncorp and ESIlaw. I find both software's easy to adapt to because the legal assistants of the firm allowed me to get a better understanding of how the software works and they are very similar to FastCompany and PCLaw.

During the process of my placement I have been preparing documents for Corporate Law, Real Estate Law and Wills and Estates. For corporate, I had the opportunity to prepare 33 share certificates, articles of incorporation, corporate by-laws, Directors' and Shareholders' Resolutions, Form 1- Initial Return/Notice of change and work on documents in regards to files relating with death and estates. In Real Estate Law I prepared all the same documents regarding a purchase and sale file such as sale file opening sheet, verification of identity forms, transfer/charge, direction re title, consent to act re conflict, direction of funds, authorization for withdrawal (Form 9b), statutory declaration, transfer/deed, mortgage etc. In Wills and Estates I prepared envelopes for Wills and copy envelopes for clients, Powers of Attorney for both personal care and property, letters to clients and their accounts, and affidavit of executions. On Friday I had the opportunity to sit in as a witness for a wills signing with the clients and the lawyer.

I do not have any accounting responsibilities as there is an accountant/bookkeeper in the office named Gail who deals with all accounting duties. All bills are filed at Gail's office and she is responsible for expenses and work hours.

Everyday I am scheduled a specific task with different legal assistants depending on who I am working with that day. For example, if I am working Real Estate, I would be assigned to open/close files, or work on documents regarding a specific file. I have had the chance to sit down and review a file to gain a little knowledge about the background of the matter. I emailed clients and sent letters, fax and emails as well to the opposing solicitor. I also was assigned to drive to the bank and certify cheques on my own. 

No comments:

Post a Comment