Friday, 28 April 2017

Week 3 Post 2

School-Related Reflection

From year 1, I have definitely become more confident in my work and what the law firm may deal with on a daily basis. By completing the five areas of law our program dealt with has made me comfortable if I ever come have to across any familiar work. The formatting of documents and even the role play of telephone calls has really helped me be prepared for what to expect. I believe by completing our program we are now "pre-professionals" by completing  documents and procedures that the workplace has to offer. Some elements that have helped me develop as an emerging legal assistant would be the work environment. By preparing documents and having a work area to complete files such as the classroom and available labs with the ability to remote into the legal software made it very similar and not much of a difference as it would be working in an office at a law firm. People skills are very important and essential in the workplace as every individual that works at the workplace represents the law firm. While speaking on the phone or to the client in person, maturity and people skills are a valuable asset to the law firm as the clients relies on the legal assistant for any information or details regarding the matter and expect professionalism while communicating.

There are definitely benefits to blogging during our three-week work placement. I believe by being able to keep in touch with other classmates and compare situations allows us to see how similar or even different some law offices may be. I also believe that blogging is essential as it allows us to keep a consistent journal of our journey at work placement. It shows not only yourself but others as well what you did a specific day or what you may have did at work placement that we have never encountered at school. By being able to reflect off of our blogs and see our struggles or accomplishments through our blogs it allows us really see how far we've come.

After completing the program, I was very nervous going into work placement. I was unsure about how prepared I was, but after the first few days I became confident as everything we did in class was similar to the work we have done in class. Although some of the documents we have not prepared in some class, such as Asset Purchase Agreements for Corporate Law, I became more comfortable after being able to see how one was done and feel prepared to do them for any future work.

I believe I have chosen the right career path as I am happy with the outcome of my program. After completing work placement, I was offered a job reflecting my overall work. I feel prepared, confident and comfortable in the work I do and enjoy the work environment. With respect to my approach to work assignments, I expect to have the task completed as soon as possible so I have time to work on other files that need to be dealt with. I believe that proofreading is very crucial and avoids any future conflicts. 

I cannot believe how far we have all come and can finally say we have successfully completed our program. I wish everyone the best of luck with their career and hope to see everyone at graduation. 

We did it ladies!


Image result for graduation clipart

6 comments:

  1. Congratulations Suzie! I am beyond Happy for you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you Cindy, you as well. We've come so far and can finally start our career!

    ReplyDelete
  3. So happy to hear that you got a position at your law firm! I know you have been working in different areas of law, so what area are you going to be working in?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Congrats on your employment ! That's so exciting! See you at Grad!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yayyyy!! I'm so happy for you Susie. Congrats on getting employed! Maybe well be working soon together if all goes well in my interview.

    I found that the formatting of documents and the role plays during second year really helped me too! I also loved blogging too, I loved reading all your posts and keeping up to date on how you are doing. We learned alot in these two years! I am so proud of us that we got this far!

    If their was something you could give a new student just coming in the program one piece of advice, what would it be?

    Can't wait to see you at graduation! Enjoy Dubai and your new job! Let's get together soon.

    ReplyDelete
  6. So happy for you!!!! i was wondering if you have decided to stay with your placement firm or if you are going to look else where? Has real estate grown on you as I find that Real Estate seems to be the most job available. I was also told that there are law clerk degrees online which you are then called to the Clerk Bar, do you ever think of doing that? I do.

    ReplyDelete